Are you an expert developer? Do you value thought leadership, enjoy writing code, and have a strong grip on computer-science fundamentals?
The Apex Core Platform team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to provide technical leadership and inspiration for a development team at the heart of Apex Clearing's high-volume, high-availability trade clearing suite. We partner with some of the industry's hottest next-generation stock trading products), and you'll be at the center of rapidly scaling services that will test your limits. As a shared services team, Apex Core Platform solves the hard, general software problems that are shared across all of our services. Apex has begun its transformation from on-premise infrastructure to the Cloud (GCP & AWS), and our team is responsible for defining and executing on a strategy to get us there. We are in need of smart, senior developers to build out our cloud-native (GCP/AWS), event-driven (Apache Kafka), Microservices framework.
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables with your technical expertise.
- Mentor & train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Build resilient, self-scaling, self-healing services that allow you to sleep thru the night. Support the production systems that you build.
- Writing high-quality, well-tested code. Maintaining high code-quality standards across your team via code reviews, mentoring & coaching.
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We're a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling FinTech standouts including Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We've got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation.
- We see tech differently. You'll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. Customers and operations staff benefit directly from your work, and let us know about it.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don't like change. This is not a job for someone who likes "predictable." The way we approach and work with technology is cutting edge. If you like "how it's always been done," you may not like working on this team.
- You're not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our customers. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
- You're a tech snob. Though we commonly use Java8 on Linux, we deal with all technology – Linux and Windows; .NET and Java; SQL and noSQL (mongoDB); Apache Kafka and other open source tools and libraries. We love technology and want to work with all of it. If you're wed to a particular shop, you may not like working for us.
The skills you'll need to succeed:
- 6-15+ years of experience as a software developer or similar job roles
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Proven experience in at least one modern language (Java, C#, C++, Go, etc.)
- Experience with Linux distributions
- Experience hiring, mentoring, and coaching other engineers
- Ability to learn new technologies (languages, tools, frameworks) quickly.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform / Amazon Web Services is a strong plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or Docker is a plus
- Experience with Apache Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or Google Pub/Sub is a plus
- Financial services background is a plus