This is an incredible opportunity for a Manager of Software Engineering to join Apex's Engineering team in Portland. As a Manager of Software Engineering you will work closely with other managers, tech leads, and and business teams building products and services for customers of Apex Clearing's suite of financial back office solutions.
We're looking for someone who:
- Is experienced and introspective. You have extensive experience developing software products and services across a variety of tools, frameworks, and environments. You recognize your strengths and also know when to reach out for help
- Is passionate. You have a genuine passion for solving interesting technology problems with creative and simple solutions.
- Is pragmatic. You'd rather deliver a 40% solution in 2 weeks than an 80% solution in six
- Is collaborative. You're excited to work with fellow engineers, but also know how to partner across departments to get things done
- Wants to make an impact. You're looking to do amazing work. You're all about using technology to improve the customer experience and affect the company's bottom line, but also want to mentor and coach those within your team
What you'll do all day:
- Deliver results. Lead a high-performing Engineering team. Guide product development projects using modern, lightweight tools and methodologies. Work with leaders across the business to prioritize and deliver products and services for Apex customers. Collaborate with those around you to produce lean, pragmatic solutions in a predictable and transparent way.
- Grow the team. Apex is growing our Software Engineering presence, especially in Portland. You'll help us identify, recruit, interview and hire new team members to help grow Apex's Engineering teams.
- Live the culture. Embody the Apex company values and work to positively impact those around you
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We're a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We've got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You'll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You'll be able to see your direct impact on our tech department and with our clients. You won't be just another talented engineer chained to a desk slinging lines of code.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don't like change. This is not a job for someone who likes "predictable." The way we approach and work with technology is cutting edge. If you like "how it's always been done," you may not like working on this team.
- You're not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our customers. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
The skills you'll need to succeed:
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering management
- Proven track record hiring software engineers
- Proven track record managing teams
- People-focused approach to personnel management
- Readiness to travel occasionally
- Experience gathering and translating business and technical requirements
- Strong sense of personal accountability
- Deep expertise in Java (or other modern software language like .NET or Go)
- Experience with REST and microservices
- Expertise in Agile and other software development methodologies and practices
- Financial services background preferred