Data Engineer, Irvine - New Startup, PEAK6 Entity
We are looking for a technical, entrepreneurial-minded Data Engineer to help us create solutions that modernize the traditional financial services industry. You will design, develop, deploy, and maintain a number of real-time databases, data warehouse, and reports that will be the foundation of the new platform. Working alongside experienced engineers and product managers, you will build this exciting platform that will simplify, automate, and facilitate access to financial markets for all.
The role is for someone who is passionate about applying modern technology to replace monolithic and hard-to-access incumbent systems. Along the way, you’ll learn about the problem space and re-imagine existing solutions. You will work on a number of back-end services and integration solutions using multiple languages and frameworks.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-paced team with the urgency of a startup and expertise of an established organization. We are a flat organization which will afford you the ability to gain access to personnel and resources necessary to execute on your vision. PEAK6 is a privately-held organization focused on delivering long-term value rather than short-term gains. This translates to a focus on bringing solutions for an industry and not bespoke products. Due to the space we innovate in, your products will process billions of transactions per day, in real-time, and power both startup and established industry participants.
You will report to the VP of Data Engineering, but work closely with everyone across the organization.
This role can be based out of Irvine or Portland.
What you’ll do all day:
- Design, develop, deploy, and maintain the transactional and analytical databases for the platform
- Think through hard data problems and solve them for the enterprise
- Develop and maintain a clean and consistent database and reporting environment for both internal applications and external client applications
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
What you need to succeed:
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- At least three years of professional experience working with databases and SQL. A strong preference for expertise in PostgreSQL.
- Professional experience with data modeling and data warehousing
- Professional experience with database administration. Experience architecting database solutions that involve high availability, disaster recovery, and database replication
- Professional experience designing and developing reports for internal employees and external facing clients
- Professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team that utilizes automated testing, CI/CD pipelines, and peer reviews
- One or more years of mid to senior experience is a necessity as you will be expected to follow established practices and patterns without day to day supervision
- We are writing mostly Golang and SQL. A strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of at least one of the following core languages a must: SQL, Go, C, C++, C#, Java
- Demonstrated skills in process and algorithm design
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Experience with Kafka, Protobufs, and reactive, multi-tenant applications a big plus
- A DevSecOps mindset and experience with cloud-native applications and infrastructure-as-code is a plus