This is an incredible opportunity for an Application Support Engineer to join a team passionate about an innovative and techy environment, while providing excellent service to our clients.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is passionate. You have a genuine passion for technology. You love using technology differently to maximize opportunity and impact for customers and you have a way of bringing out that same fire in the people you work with
- Is motivated. You’re driven to be the best – whether that’s decreasing system down time or making an innovative change to “how it’s always been done” resulting in a more efficient way of supporting the customer. You challenge yourself by setting goals and exceeding them
- Is collaborative. You’re excited to work with like-minded peers. You know how to collaborate not only within the department, but also across the organization.
- Wants to make an impact. You’re looking to do amazing work. You value preventing problems from occurring over being caught in the chaos zone putting out fires and looking for the “hero” spotlight
- Strives for frictionless IT – You understand the importance of building great partnerships. You promote a seamless, smooth and reliable environment.
What you’ll do all day:
- Support our world class client base. Promote a culture of quick and effective reactions to client reports; Identify smart and creative ways to solve issues and challenges
- Keep your finger on the pulse of our systems. At all times you’ll oversee the production data feeds, business work-flows, and the overall health of our platform thru monitoring and data visualization tools
- Own, engage and drive. Enviably technology fails and exceptions occur. When they do you’ll be expected to effectively follow Apex’s Incident Management procedures to ensure quick and decisive action is taken to remediate all while providing clear and concise communication to those affected
- Run our clearing platform. As part of our Tech Support staff, you'll be expected to decrease the frequency and severity of technical incidents / delays that negatively impact internal customers and their ability to support our clients.
- Reduce toil. As front line support staff, you should have a keen eye for chronic problems and take a pragmatic approach to help reduce their occurrence and impact to the organization
- Make us better. What new cool, innovative and smart technologies are emerging on the market that will make us better? We want to be different and we want people to look at us as leaders in finding or building cutting edge technologies.
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We’re a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We’ve got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You’ll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate technologist dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customer’s problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You’ll be able to see your direct impact on our staff, office and with our clients. You won’t be just another talented technologist.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don’t like change. This is not a job for someone who likes “predictable.” The job is based on the unknown which inevitably means change. If you like to know what you’re going to do every day, you may not like working on this team. You have to go with the flow here.
- You’re not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our users and customer. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work here.
- You’re a tech snob. Though our platform is primarily Java8 on Linux, we deal with all technology – Linux and Windows. .NET and Java; SQL and noSQL (mongoDB); RabbitMQ and other open source tools and libraries. We love technology and want to work with all of it. If you’re we to a particular shop, you may not like working for us.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- 2+ years application support experience
- Excellent client support experience
- Experience supporting Restful and SOAP APIs, Micro Services, and customer oriented technology platforms
- Intermediate Linux OS troubleshooting skills
- Fluent use of grep, awk, sed, etc…
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science preferred
- Experience supporting workflow automation / job scheduling tools
- Intermediate scripting abilities (Python, Groovy, Ruby and/or Powershell)
- 2+ years independently writing database queries (SQL or noSQL)
- Experience with monitoring and visualization tools (Grafana, Prometheus, Nagios, Datadog, Elastic, Kibana, etc…)
- Experience supporting cloud-native applications in a public-cloud environment (Azure, AWS, GCP, PFC, etc)
- Solid foundation of networking functions, standards, and protocols
- Ability to learn new things (languages, tools, frameworks) very quickly
- Ability to work 24/7 support with coverage of off-shift as needed