PEAK6 is a leading investment firm headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building. More than 20 years ago, we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology into our trading business. Today, we leverage our technical ingenuity and operational ability across a number of investment areas, spanning early- to mid-stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and even sports management. We have both built and operated several leading financial technology firms and today our team includes our proprietary trading business, a digital wealth clearinghouse, an outsource provider of flood insurance, a Premier League soccer team, a value investment arm, an incubation lab, and much more.
We’ve taken our passion for technology and created a software development experience designed to introduce women to the FinTech industry. Our Tech Experience is meant to encourage smart, ambitious, tech-savvy women to break the mold. We’ve heard all the myths about FinTech—too cutthroat, too intense, too risky—but we know that’s not the case at PEAK6. We know women make outstanding developers and technologists, but there are not enough female developers in the FinTech field yet.
Our 9-week Tech Experience will introduce you to the basics of FinTech and help you build key software development skills that you’ll leverage throughout your career. You’ll have an opportunity to explore your interests by shadowing developers, systems and network engineers, traders, quants, and more. Our tech team is tight-knit, supportive, and highly collaborative – everyone is invested in each other’s and the team’s success.
You can expect the Technology Experience to include:
- Working on an impactful project from concept to delivery, and presenting your work to senior leadership, end users and stakeholders of the organization.
- Comprehensive mentorship and feedback process that includes dedicated 1:1 mentors, scheduled feedback cycles, and weekly 360 degree feedback of the program.
- Effective learning and development programs, training, and application of both trading and technology.
- Rotational programs and deep-dives within each development team.
- Exposure to other PEAK6 business lines and ventures to enhance career perspective.
- Multiple opportunities to hear and learn from influential women in the FinTech space, including our own!
- Defined experience timeline and structured program, from start to finish to ensure a maximum experience.
- Dynamic and fast paced environment with an emphasis on learning and staying ahead of the curve.
- Company sponsored events including social, team-building, and experiential programs.
- Competitive benefit package and options
You will be responsible for:
- Attending training to learn the basics of financial markets and options trading
- Developing innovative tools to integrate with our proprietary trading platform. Some examples from previous years include tooling for low-latency market data streams, a data dependency framework and visualization tool, and an analytics framework and visualization tool for application usage.
- Working closely with small development teams and collaborating with our trading and support teams during standups, team meetings, and project planning.
You will gain loads of experience in our Technology Experience, but before you do you should have:
- A graduation date between December 2020 – June 2021 in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or a related discipline
- Software development skills in a modern, object-oriented programming language such as Java, Python, or Go, and the ability to learn new languages and technologies quickly
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Curiosity to learn and driven to improve
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Ability to thrive in collaborative environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
Bonus Points if you:
- Have a background or interest in financial markets
- Familiarity with service-oriented software architectures and distributed systems
- Have experience with multithreading and concurrent programming