We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As the Senior Back-End Engineer for PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several entities. You’ll manage and shape our software architecture and have opportunities to grow and develop our engineering team. This is a role for someone who flourishes in a fast paced environment, who can work with minimal direction, and who is an expert with Java and Spring technologies. This role will report into the Vice President of Engineering who reports directly into the COO of PEAK6 Technologies.
What you’ll do all day:
- Define, develop, deploy and operate a number of reactive, autonomous micro-services that are the foundation of the new PEAK6 platform
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise
- Develop and maintain a clean and consistent API for both internal applications and external client applications
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
What you need to succeed:
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 7 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team that utilizes automated testing, CI pipelines, peer reviews ideally in an Agile Environment
- A strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of at least one of the following core languages is a must: Java, Go, C++, or C#, with our main technology being Java.
- Demonstrated skills in process and algorithm design
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Strong understanding of RESTful API conventions and distributed architecture
- Experience with Kafka, Protobufs, and reactive, multi-tenant applications is a big plus
- A DevSecOps mindset and experience with cloud-native applications and infrastructure-as-code is a plus
All of our employees have these traits. You should, too.
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a PEAK6 Senior Back-End Engineer, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Speakers Series
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching gift program